Entrepreneurial Leader and Creative Thinker with experience in growing both businesses and nonprofits through a mix of best practices and innovative solutions.
Problem Solver who balances long-term vision with immediate needs, and supports staff and stakeholders.
Strategist who studies goals, challenges, and resources to find opportunities, avoid pitfalls, and craft plans.
Selected Skills & Accomplishments
- Experience as executive, senior staff, consultant, and board member at various organizations, leading to strong skills in navigating complex dynamics among stakeholders.
- Proven funds development leader, combining strategy and infrastructure to build cultures of fundraising. Staff leader of two capital campaigns.
- Led highly visible national family civil rights organization with new strategy and growth.
Equality New York
- Focus on advocating through electoral politics to ban conversion therapy, protect trans* people, secure families, and fund mental health, homeless, and other direct services.
- Provides unified voice with state government on behalf of LGBTQI organizations and people.
- American Jewish World Service, directing an $18 million reserve campaign to bolster organization’s ability to provide lasting support to social justice projects by leaders in developing countries. Advising on launch of planned giving program and general development strategy.
- The Riverside Church in New York City, developing strategy and tools to engage the entire organization (staff, congregants, and beneficiaries) in increasing fundraising capacity.
- The Hetrick-Martin Institute, home of the Harvey Milk High School, heading research to determine new locations around the country for potential expansion. This project includes working with Moody’s, Facebook, Urban Institute, and Frameworks.
- Peter Cicchino Youth Project, which provides legal services to homeless youth, developing and implementing fundraising plan to double their budget in two years.
- PFLAG NYC, building a strategic growth plan, board rebuilding, and fundraising support.
- The National LGBT Bar Association, board training and executive recruitment.
- Faith In America, strategic and fundraising support during leadership transition.
- Athlete Ally, executive recruitment and support on board management.
Family Equality Council
- Stabilized finances, including eliminating a deficit for the first time in three years, implementing a three-year plan towards financial security, and establishing a reserve fund.
- Developed a strategic plan that expanded public education work (campaigns now each reach more than 22,000,000 people), implemented services for families in the South, established legal clinics for low income families, and formalized a regional advocacy and programming model.
- Improved fundraising efforts through redesign of development team and strategy, focus on key locations, attention to major donor relationships, and efforts to cultivate smaller donors. Also shifted foundation strategy to shore up greater support.
- Built the visibility and trust of the organization among partners at all levels, leading to unique opportunities, critical acclaim, and increased leadership shaping a national agenda.
Congregation Beit Simchat Torah
- Built a fundraising and communications team to raise an annual operations budget of $1.8 million each year and lead an $18million capital campaign.
- Developed donor recognition strategy to increase gifts and incentivize seven figure donors.
- Increased organization’s communications with members, donors, media, and the public. Results included coverage in the New York Times, WNYC, and LGBT Media.
- Engaged community in the It Gets Better project, including stories from two dozen members.
- Re-launched CBST’s legacy giving society, doubling planned estate gifts.
- Responsible for day to day company management and growth.
- Provided strategies, collateral, and management consulting to dozens of organizations.
- Trained professional groups on best practices in assessment, planning and implementation.
- Designed solutions to client challenges including web applications, and business concepts.
Additional Experience and Accomplishments
Speaker at many conferences and institutions including universities, rallies, and corporations.
Member of boards and committees, including LGBT Religious Archives Network, Love Comes First, Equality New York PAC, OutCasting LGBTQ Youth Radio.
Author including in Huffington Post, The Advocate, Newsday, chapters in four books on LGBTQI issues.
TV and radio appearances on NPR, MSNBC, Fox, Al Jazeera, SiriusXM, among others.
Certified Governance Trainer by BoardSource to provide guidance and support to boards and leaders.
Awards including The Advocate’s 40 Under 40, and the Stonewall Democratic Club Leadership Award.