We are conducting a search on behalf of the Hetrick-Martin Institute for a Senior Director of Development. Are you ready to help lead fundraising efforts at this iconic institution? HMI serves thousands of LGBTQ youth in New York City and Newark, NJ. This position is for someone with strengths in relationship building, strategic thinking, and project management. If you think you’re the one to help HMI continue to grow and expand, submit your cover letter and resume: https://hmi.applicantpro.com/jobs/249925.html
Job Opening: Senior Director of Development
Updated January 4, 2016
The Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) is seeking a Senior Director of Development who brings experience, strategic thinking, and strong relationship skills to a growing and well established organization. Nearing completion of its fourth decade of service, HMI seeks an individual who can engage a strong team in growing the diversity and strength of their fundraising sources.
Reporting to the COO, the Senior Director of Development oversees a dedicated team that is committed to growing the resources of the organization. They are dedicated to accountability, working within a strategic vision and plan, developing best practices, and in a collegial environment with a spirit of teamwork.
The organization has nearly doubled in the last 6 years, and your job will be to refine and create systems and opportunities, building on a strong base with long term leadership. As the organization continue to expand, you will need to bring experience in national fundraising, while improving the efficiencies of current efforts. Your job will be to help take to organization from about $9 million to $10 million and beyond. You must be able to work in a dynamic environment, while staying true to strategic vision and providing stability for your team.
Your job includes planning, oversight and evaluation of all Development functions as defined by HMI’s mission. These functions shall include but not be limited to Institutional Giving, Individual Giving, Fundraising Events and Special Projects, and Planned Giving.
Are you a creative thinker and relationship builder? Do you know how to explore new opportunities freely while keeping your team on track? Are you passionate about serving LGBTQ youth? Do you bring experience in fundraising from outside the LGBTQ movement?
Share your experience and thoughts about what you could bring to HMI in a clear and sincere cover letter, along with your resume.
Hetrick-Martin Institute believes all young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential. Hetrick-Martin creates this environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth between the ages of 13 and 24 and their families.
Through a comprehensive package of direct services and referrals, Hetrick-Martin seeks to foster healthy youth development. Hetrick-Martin’s staff promotes excellence in the delivery of youth services and uses its expertise to create innovative programs that other organizations may use as models.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Unit-Wide Oversight and Management
- Direct the creation of effective staffing and management structure for all Development functions provided at HMI.
- Oversee hiring, orientation, supervision, training and termination of all Development staff, interns and volunteers.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and data management of the department (Five team members plus Senior Director).
- Create, and oversee Development Unit budget; oversee creation and monitor budget for Development related communications, Events, Institutional & Planned Giving functions.
- Monitor all risk-management issues for Development.
- Oversee creation and ongoing updating of departmental policies and procedures.
- Staff Development Committee of Board of Directors and report directly to the Board as necessary.
- Leadership role in agency-wide strategic planning.
- Planning and Design
- Responsibility for assessment, planning and approval of all annual and long-term fundraising plans; development of new and creative approaches to increase annual giving at HMI.
- Work with the Chief Operation Officer to set priorities and financial goals and develop strategic plan.
- Work with Development departments to develop departmental action plans and yearly fundraising action plans.
- Play leadership role in partnering with Director of PR & Communications in the development of strategic marketing and business plan to market development function.
- Collaborate with the Director of PR & Communications in the development of standardized marketing materials including descriptions and collateral materials including newsletters, invitations, etc.
- Work with other units to develop collaborative mutually supportive structures to further promote the agency mission.
- Link with consultants, researchers and other internal and external supports to create effective working unit.
- Oversee all of the annual Appeals, Direct Mail, Events, Institutional Giving application and grants management, Legislative, Memorial, Planned Giving, etc.
- Evaluate success/failure of all functions, and devise and implement strategies to improve those functions.
- Provide monitoring and oversight for purposes of quality care and compliance with both internal and external laws, policies and procedures.
- Community Collaboration
- Create and implement strategy to facilitate consistent collaboration with community agencies, individuals and constituencies identified as essential to achieving identified goals and objectives of Development Unit as well as the agency-wide mission.
- Develop long-term relationships with all donors/funders to ensure continued support.
- Assist in training of Board members regarding development responsibility.
- Serve as spokesperson to outside groups, including the media as appropriate and needed.
- Legislative advocacy as needed and required.
- Operations Responsibility
- Coordinate closely with Operations/Finance department to ensure the correct management of development funding and to make sure that it is tracked and reported according to both internal and external laws and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Minimum 5+ years of upper-level, diverse and broad fundraising experience with demonstrated success in meeting or exceeding goals.
- Excellent strategic planning and budgeting skills, ability to exercise independent judgment; strong decision-making skills
- Strong leadership, motivational, management, budgetary and communications skills with a record as a team builder, trainer, educator, motivator and cheerleader where necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal and group communications skills.
- Exceptional administrative, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to plan, launch, manage and successfully complete complex fundraising campaigns and other project plans.
- Ability to research, cultivate, solicit and steward sources of individual, corporate, foundation and government support.
- Record of quantifiable success and commitment to excellence.
- Successful track record of collaboratively working with a wide range of customers, both internal and external.
- Computer Skills: Strong with proficiency in all programs of the current Microsoft Office suite and major component parts of Raiser’s Edge. Bring a strong sense of how a donor database should support development strategies.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Knowledge of and skill in using desktop publishing, presentation and project management software applications.
- Knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning orientation/sexual identity issues.
- Contacts/relationships within the New York/Tri-State corporate and philanthropic community.
- Experience with national fundraising efforts.
Competitive SalaryExcellent Benefits Package