To apply, please visit American Jewish Word Service’s career site. Please do not contact Gabriel Blau or employed associates in application for this position.
Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to promote human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS advances the health and rights of women, girls and LGBT people; promotes civil and political rights; defends access to food, land and water; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by granting approximately $40 million annually to more than 500 grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing our community in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, we strive to build a more just and equitable world.
Working as a member of a fast-paced major gifts team, the primary responsibility of the Development Officer is to expand and work with AJWS’s Global Circle, a network of emerging young donors and global human rights advocates in their 20s and 30s, to plan programming, industry events and engagement opportunities that will increase Global Circle leadership opportunities, strengthen the sense of community and achieve fundraising revenue. The Development Officer will also steward and solicit a small portfolio of current and prospect donors in New York and on the East Coast to achieve and surpass fundraising targets and goals. In addition, the Development Officer will play a key team role for all common development efforts in the Major Gifts team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement strategy for Global Circle to meaningfully engage and inspire AJWS’s young supporters, donors and prospects;
- Support the work of the lay-led Global Circle Steering Committee to increase AJWS’s visibility, prospect for new young donors, plan events, and soliciting young professionals;
- Plan relevant high-end, exclusive industry events with top executives for young professionals (approximately 4-6 per year);
- Work with Global Circle colleagues across the country to continue building and growing Global Circle Investors;
- Steward, solicit, and grow a portfolio of major donors;
- Manage a pipeline of prospects to successfully convert them into AJWS donors, thereby growing AJWS’s base of supporters;
- Create a comprehensive annual strategy for each donor and use the Moves Management system to move donors and prospects through the pipeline;
- Draft and edit written materials to donors and prospects including stewardship, cultivation and solicitation letters in conjunction with the development team;
- Plan yearly/bi-yearly trips for senior leadership to meet with donors and speak at events outside of New York;
Conduct prospect research, identification and cultivation.
- Collaborate with all AJWS divisions and stakeholders to successfully achieve annual development revenue goals.
- Articulate verbally and in writing AJWS’s mission, values, history, and
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in successful engagement of young supporters and donors; major gifts fundraising, including direct solicitation;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development preferred
- Knowledge of, and comfort with, the Jewish community;
- Experience working with lay committees;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- Track record of creative problem-solving, setting and meeting goals, strategic thinking, resourcefulness, and ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Event planning experience;
- International human rights knowledge a plus;
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, click on the link to apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.