We are conducting a search on behalf of the Hetrick-Martin Institute for a Director, Special Events. Are you ready to lead the organization and implementation of events to support this iconic institution? HMI serves thousands of LGBTQ youth in New York City and Newark, NJ. This position is for someone with strengths in relationship building, strategic thinking, and project management. If you think you’re the one to help HMI continue to grow and expand, submit your cover letter and resume:
Job Opening: Director, Special Events
Updated February 25, 2016
The Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI), the leading provider of social support and programming for at-risk lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning (LGBTQ) youth, seeks an experienced, eager and mission-driven Director, Special Events to plan and execute large and small scale functions while engaging with various stakeholders to ensure their success. This position demands an individual who is passionate about HMI’s mission, understands how to cultivate new and steward existing stakeholders and possesses strong communication and organizational skills.
The Director, Special Events will have responsibility for planning, executing and overseeing HMI’s signature events in New York and collaborating with a separate office in New Jersey for theirs. This position will report to the Senior Director of Development and will supervise a Special Event Associate. A background of demonstrable leadership in managing every detail of a large function including but not limited to: creating guest lists, working with vendors, producing a budget, harnessing social media and other forms of advertising and awareness, and enlisting volunteers is necessary. The ideal candidate will understand how to be receptive and responsive to unavoidable last-minute adjustments with the understanding that it is necessary to be on call nearly all hours leading up to the event.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone passionate about serving the most vulnerable members of the LGBTQ community who has experience in forging relationships to fund these efforts.
- Manage and achieve the Fundraising Events Program for HMI.
- Plan, produce and implement HMI’s signature events including annual Emery Awards (NYC), School’s Out (East Hampton), Spring Fling/Fall Fest (Upstate NY) and Summer Camp (Fire Island Pines) fundraising events.
- Plan and collaborate in the production of NJ events with the NJ Executive Director and NJ team essential to growth of donor base, including Spring Fling, a Newark, NJ Event; Solstice, an Asbury, New Jersey Event; and NJ third-party events.
- Manage and cultivate third-party events, including co-management of Jeffrey Fashion Cares, Women’s Pride in the Pines and others.
- Play a senior role in revenue generation by seeing projects from their conceptual inception to final execution.
Essential Duties and Tasks:
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer and the Senior Director of Development to set priorities and financial goals and develop annual strategic plan for all events, incorporating best practices, current trends, and organizational needs.
- Proactively create, lead, promote and coordinate a strategy map that develops diverse revenue streams (including budget, timeline, leadership recruitment, post-event donor cultivation) for all fundraising events.
- Support Director of Volunteer and Alumni Services to recruit and train volunteers and other development staff on how to be most effective in meeting event goals as set forth in strategy maps.
- Systematically research, approach, secure, cultivate, and steward sponsorships and patrons (renewal and new) to meet funding goals and to ensure continued event and donor involvement.
- Execute the timely writing, editing, and completion of all proposals and solicitations. Proposals should be competitive, marketing-based as appropriate and completed within a timely manner with attention to detail.
- Proactively create, lead, promote and coordinate third party, non-fundraising and cultivation events.
- Liaise with Board of Directors and other stakeholders, providing support and training as needed.
- Manage Board-led event committees, cultivate, steward and set goals to most effectively engage event committee members.
- Organize and maintain all event records, physical and electronic.
- Develop and institute policies to effectively run department. Maintain policies and procedures manual for individual area of responsibility.
- Assist in the planning and execution of other Development Department and Agency priorities, as requested.
- Along with the Senior Director of Development and Director of PR & Communications, supervise the design, production and distribution of marketing and collateral materials for all events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in related area.
- Minimum 4+ years of fundraising experience with demonstrated success in producing high-income ($1M+) and low-expense fundraising events.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and group communications skills.
- Exceptional administrative, organizational, and time management skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to create and manage complex information and budgets.
- Record of quantifiable success and commitment to excellence.
- Successful track record of collaboratively working with a wide range of customers, both internal and external.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when appropriate; strong decision-making skills.
- Strong with proficiency in all programs of the current Microsoft Office suite and major component parts of Raiser’s Edge, especially RE: Events module.
- A working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Etc..) a plus.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Knowledge of and skill in using desktop publishing, presentation and project management software applications.
- Knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning orientation/sexual identity issues.
- Contacts/relationships within the New York/Tri-State corporate and philanthropic community.
Competitive SalaryExcellent Benefits Package
How to Apply
Be sure to include a well composed cover letter that demonstrates that you are the right person for the job.
We respectfully request that you do not contact us to check the status of the recruiting process or of the materials you’ve submitted—your cooperation is appreciated.